Thursday, September 19, start time 10 a.m.
Green Acres Center
4401 Sideburn Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
Registration opens June 17, 2019.
Registration closes August 24 (mail-in) or August 31 (online).
Results and Records
See Results and Records for NVSO 2002 to 2018
Please go here for rules covering all events.
Competition will be held with 10-year age groups (50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 100+) and male and female divisions (low registration may require playing with no age groups or gender divisions). The Event Host will provide the bocce balls.
- This is a single elimination tournament.
- Singles (one on one) competition will be held (unless the event director determines that pairs will be formed due to number registered and time constraints).
- All matches are single games to 7 points.
- United States Bocce Federation rules will be followed.
A) General Rules
- Winner of the coin toss chooses 4 balls of same color and throws the pallin (“jack”) past the center line but not touching the back wall at the opposite end.
- Singles are played with each person throwing 4 balls. Players alternate the use of each end of the court.
- Players may step on, but not have their foot completely over the foul line before releasing the pallino or the bocce ball.
- The bocce ball is rolled or tossed to try to get as close to the pallino as possible without hitting the backboard (dead ball removed).
- Once the point is established, the opposing player must shoot until they make a new (closer) point.
- Players may use side boards at any time.
- A player may hit the pallino or another player’s ball when throwing their ball.
- Once all the balls have been thrown, a point is awarded to the person with the ball closest to the pallino. (No points are awarded in the event of a tie).
- When the ball is touching the pallino and a dollar bill cannot come between them = 2 points.