This event occurred on Monday, September 12, 2022.
Results & Records
Results of the NVSO 2022 crossword puzzle event.
Photographs from the NVSO 2022 crossword puzzle event taken by Dan Feighery.
Please go here for rules covering all events.
Crossword Puzzle Rules
Competition will be in 10-year age groups (50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90+) with no gender divisions. NVSO will provide the Crossword Puzzles and pencils.
A) General Rules
- Crossword Puzzles consist of a grid of intersecting blocks, each defined as a line of adjacent cells with a clue number in either the uppermost cell for a vertical block, or the left-most cell for a horizontal block. Each clue provides a hint as to what word, phrase, acronym, or abbreviation should be placed in the corresponding block, with a single letter (A-Z) going into each cell of that block – read left to right for horizontal blocks, or top-down for vertical blocks. The object is to fill in each cell of each block with the correct letter, and to do so in the shortest time possible.
- The event consists of a series of three increasingly difficult puzzles to solve:
- One with a 20 minute limit.
- One with a 30 minute limit.
- One with a 40 minute limit.
- Cells with two or more letters, the wrong letter, and cells left entirely unmarked are graded as mistakes and assessed a 1 minute time penalty each, which is added to the contestant’s completion time for that puzzle.
- The cumulative time required to complete all three puzzles, including assessed time penalties for mistakes, is the contestant’s score, with the winner in each age group being the contestant with the lowest total score.
Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are awarded to the contestants in each age group.