Thursday, September 19, start time 12 p.m.
Fairfax Senior Center
4401 Sideburn Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
Registration opens June 17, 2019.
Registration closes August 24 (mail-in) or August 31 (online).
Results and Records
See Results and Records for NVSO 2002 to 2018
Please go here for rules covering all events.
Competition shall be in 10-year age groups (50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 100+) with Men’s and Women’s divisions as shown below. The Event Host will supply the horseshoes.
A) General Rules
- All games are single elimination.
- A game will be played to 21 points for men and women age 50-69 or the high scoreafter 40 shoes have been thrown (20 shoes per person), whichever occurs first. For men and women age 70+, games will be played to 21 points or the high score after 30 shoes have been thrown (15 shoes per person), whichever occurs first.
- A game is played by frames consisting of a total of four shoes, two pitched by each player to a stake.
- All points count. A Ringer is 3 points. A Leaner is 2 points. Any shoe within 6 inches of the stake (as measured with a caliper or straight edge) score 1 point. No contestant shall move his own or the opponent’s shoes until the winner of points has agreed upon by the contestants or a decision rendered by the referee or the Event Director.
- Men 50-69 pitch from a distance of 40 feet.
- Men 70+ pitch a minimum of 30 feet.
- Women 50- 69+ pitch from a distance of 30 feet.
- Women ages 70+ pitch from a distance of 20 feet.
C) Additional Information
- A foul line shall be clearly defined 3 feet in front of each stake.
- Flip a shoe to determine who pitches first. Thereafter, the person making the most points pitches first. In case of a tie, the last pitcher shall pitch first.
- After pitching, step behind your opponent and do not make remarks or movement that might interfere with opponent’s pitching.
- A legal shoe must land inside the box. Any shoe that hits the edge, backboard or outside and bounces into the box is a foul shoe and shall be removed.
- In case of a tie, participants will throw 5 shoes and score combined with game score.