Saturday, September 21, start time: 9 a.m.
Providence Community Center
3001 Vaden Drive
Fairfax, VA 22031
Registration opens June 17, 2019.
Registration closes August 24 (mail-in) or August 31 (online).
Shaw Zee (email)
Results and Records
See Results and Records for NVSO 2002 to 2018
Please go here for rules covering all events.
Table Tennis Rules
Competition will be in separate divisions for Men and Women in 10-year age groups (50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99, 100+). Games will be played in accordance with United States Table Tennis Association Rules. This is a single elimination tournament. Players supply their own paddles, not backed with sandpaper. NVSO supplies regulation tables, nets, and balls.
- Best 2 out of 3 games wins.
- After a total of 2 points have been played, the receiver becomes the server, and the server the receiver, and so on until the end of the game or the score 10-all. At the score 10-all, the receiver becomes the server, and the server the receiver, and so on after each point until the end of the game.
- First server is determined by coin flip. Two-minute warm-up and breaks between games.
- Either player may stop play if a ball or player from another table interferes, hinders, or distracts play. The point will be re-played.
- White shirts or jackets are not permitted for competition, per USA Table Tennis Association Rules.
- A game is won by the player who first wins 11 points, unless both players have scored 10 points. Then the winner of the game is the one who first wins 2 points more than he opponent.
- The server releasing the ball from an open hand only, without imparting spin, delivers the serve.
- The ball is then struck so that it touches first the server’s court, passes directly over the net, and touches the receiver’s court.
- At the moment of the impact of the paddle on the ball in service, both players must be behind the end line of their respective courts.
D) Let Service
- The ball is served again without loss or gain of point if the ball served, in passing over the net, touches it or its supports, provided the service is otherwise good.
E) Loss of Points
- Either player loses a point: a) If the player’s free hand touches the playing surface while the ball is in play; b) If the player, his/her paddle, or anything that he/she wears or carries, touches the net or its support while the ball is in play; c) If the player, his/her paddle, or anything that he/she wears or carries, moves the playing surface while the ball is in place.