When - Completed
was held Friday, September 15, 2023
Note: Start times approximate with the next event following immediately.
- Warm-up at 8:30am
- Breaststroke - 100 yards at 9:00am
- Freestyle - 50 yards at 9:30am
- Backstroke - 100 yards at 10:00am
- Breaststroke - 50 yards at 10:30am
- Freestyle - 100 yards at 11:00am
- Backstroke - 50 yards at 11:30am
- Freestyle - 900 yards (~1/2 mile) at noon
Dulles South Recreation & Community Center
24950 Riding Center Drive
South Riding, VA 20152
Contact Carol by email.
See our volunteers page for details.
Results and Records
Results and Records of the NVSO 2023 swimming events:
- 50 yard backstroke
- 50 yard breaststroke
- 50 yard freestyle
- 100 yard backstroke
- 100 yard breaststroke
- 100 yard freestyle - Updated
- 900 yard freestyle
Photographs from the NVSO 2023 swimming event taken by Bob Baker.
Please go here for rules covering all events.
Competition will be in Men’s and Women’s Divisions in 5-year age groups (50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, 100+). USMS Masters Rules apply with exceptions.
- Events will consist of the 50 yard and 100 yard freestyle, 50 yard and 100 yard backstroke, 50 yard and 100 yard breaststroke, and a nominal ½ mile or 900 yards (any style).
- All 50 yard competitions are twice the length of the pool. Swimmers will start in the water with at least one hand on the side of the pool.
- The 900 yard (nominal ½ mile) competition is 36 times the length of the pool. Swimmers will start in the water with at least one hand on the side of the pool. Any stroke or combination of strokes are permitted.
- All 100 yard competitions are four times the length of the pool. Swimmers may start from the starting blocks, from the edge of the pool, or in the water with at least on hand on the side of the pool.
- The kicks allowed are the frog, whip, scissors, or breaststroke.
- Best times will be recorded. In case of a tie, duplicate medals will be awarded and medals for subsequent lowest times will be downgraded.
- Women and Men will swim separately if warranted by entry levels, but may be combined.
- ½ mile competitors may be assigned 2 swimmers per lane depending on the number of entrants.
- Two hands must hold the side of the pool for the start. Backstrokes must swim face-up with alternate or simultaneous arm strokes (swimmer’s choice).
- In the freestyle, 1⁄2 mile, and backstroke, at least a one-hand touch finish is required. Turns for these events shall be a wall touch with any part of the body.
D) Breast Stroke
- A ‘two-hands’ touch at turns and the finish is required. Breaststroke competitors must do an arm stroke that is an in-water recovery.
- No swimmer may use equipment which gives him/her an unfair advantage such as swim fins, flotation devices, breathing apparatus such as a snorkel, or similar devices.